Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] How to insert custom dissector? and problems building (MSVC7.0)

From: "Steven Kuznicki" <skuznicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:45:49 -0400

Hi,

I have a problem with the compiling of ethereal using MSDevStudio 7.0 (2003). I have included the /NODEFAULTLIB:LIBC and it linked fine.  The real problem comes when I run the exe and start logging.  It attempts to create a temp log file – which it does, then tries to attach a stream (FILE *) to the handle – which fails.  Seems like it is using the wrong dll at runtime as the pinfo structure for file I/O seems to be mis-aligned. (ASSERTS when checking that the file is open – which it really is, but fails since the FOPEN bit position is misinterpreted).

Has anyone tried building ethereal (with MSVC7.0/2003) and successfully executed it?

Also, I need to write my own dissector for UDP data packets – we have our own protocol and wish to use ethereal for decoding our own specific data.  Is there any doco that describes doing this like in a sample?

thanks

steve kuznicki

ATI