Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Article: Network Associates sells Sniffer

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:35:17 +0100
On Friday 23 Apr 2004 7:56 pm, Guy Harris wrote:
> ...and renames themselves "McAfee"; the company that will be made
> from the Sniffer product line will be called...
>
> ..."Network General".
>
> This somewhat reminds me of AT&T buying NCR, renaming it "AT&T Global
> Information Systems" or whatever, and then spinning it off again as
> NCR.

You should check out the SCO Group debacle.

Caldera spun off two companies, one called Caldera Systems, which
created a new company called Caldera International that had some board
members from SCO. CI acquired stuff from SCO and created a subsidiary
which merged with CS. Although CS became a subsidiary of CI, the
shareholders of CS now became shareholders of CI instead.

SCO renamed themselves Tarantella and Caldera International renamed
themselves The SCO Group. (Caldera Systems became SCO Operations.)

The original Caldera having divested itself of its whole business now
seems to have gone into finance.

--
Richard Urwin