Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Ways to interact with Ethereal from outside. Is there a DLL?

From: "Lars Ruoff" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:32:21 +0200
Hi,
i need to write an application to monitor certain network events/conditions
(over an extended period of time) in real-time and react upon them (with an
email-notification for example).

My idea was to use ethereal with the tap system to do the analysis part with
the checking of the error conditions. But then some info would need to be
returned to the parent application. Also, the parent app should be able to
start/stop the capture, backup capture files and such things.

I thought of launching a child process with a modified version of tethereal,
with my own analysis tap activated and then have some kind of
interprocess-communication set up with the parent process. Any hints on how
to start best?
Has anyone made attempts to use (t)ethereal this way from an external
application?

Also, on this list, i heard speaking of an ethereal DLL? That would be much
simpler. Any official infos on that?

Thank you,
Lars Ruoff.