Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug-Report: wiretap, timestamps and timezone

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:30:01 -0700
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 04:15:18PM +0200, Rolf Fiedler wrote:
> I mean it will always be tricky if you do not know the day the trace
> was generated, but the toshiba format is sub-optimal in this respect.

Yes.

> Also if the trace runs for more than a day it jumps back in time.

That's a bit tricky to handle.

One solution might be to have Wiretap supply, for each packet, *two*
values:

	1) an absolute time stamp, containing an
	   hour/minute/second/fractional-second time and an *optional*
	   date as year/month/day;

	2) a time stamp relative to the beginning of the capture - or,
	   for capture file formats that don't store a capture start
	   time, relative to the first packet's arrival - in seconds and
	   fractional seconds;

and have Ethereal display the first value as the date/time - and not
display the date if it's not available - and use the second value for
relative and delta times.

That would raise the question of what Wiretap should do when *writing* a
capture:

	for output file formats whose packets have an absolute UTC-based
	time stamp (e.g., libpcap), use the capture start time stamp
	(which Wiretap could supply both as Y/M/D/H/M/S.F and a
	UNIX-style time stamp) and the relative time stamps to compute
	the absolute time stamps;

	for output file formats that have a capture start time and whose
	packets have a time stamp relative to that start time (e.g.,
	Microsoft Network Monitor), use the capture start time stamp and
	relative time stamps;

	if the input file has only time stamps, not date-and-time
	stamps, use the file's mod time as the starting time.

I *think* that covers all the file formats we currently write.