Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Conversation list -> incorrect TCP connectiondirection

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:06:04 +1000
No,

In TCP conversation we do not always know who initiates the tcp session
so we cant rely on that.

It essentially picks EP1 as the enpoint with the largest port number.
And if the source/dest ports are equal, it will compare the ip addresses.

Since clients very often pick a random port with a high value
and since servers listening on a well known port usually picks a very small
port number
this means the probability is reasonably high that we get the Client as EP1
adn the server as EP2

This works for UDP as well.

Other protocols have similar "algorithms" for deciding what is EP1 and what
is EP2.