Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Order of subdissectors : suggestion of a trick

From: metatech <metatech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:42:56 +0200
At 00:32 16/04/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> > Some heuristic dissectors have very weak heuristics.
> > Some port numbers are used for several things. Lower port number has
> > priority over higher port number, which may
> > give strange results in some cases (a TCP connection from port 1812 to
> > 5060 may be dissected as Diameter).
>
> ...but it gives fewer strange results, at least with the capture files I
> have, than trying source port first or trying destination port first;
> lower port numbers are more likely to be well-known ports or registered
> ports.

In agree that it is often working well, especially for port numbers in the
range 1-1023.
But I have seen several cases where it is not working so well. It is quite
often
you get a low port number on TCP client side.
A priority scheme could be good to improve the behaviour.

I wrote a small patch (about 20 lines in 3 files) to include the following "trick" : The goal is that the "tcp.port" field is only matched for the server port, not for the client port. The only moment when the client and server behave differently is during the TCP handshake : the client sends a SYN without ACK, what the server never does at any moment (I think). For such a packet the destination is known to be the server. At that moment the server port needs to be stored in a new field of the "tcp_analysis" struct (in packet-tcp) that holds a state of the TCP conversation. If the server port is known by this trick, the dissector_try_port() is only called for the server port, otherwise the normal code is executed (lowest port chosen).

I think this makes things better in most cases.

Limitations :
- does not work if the capture was started after the TCP connection was started. - might break a dissector that relies on the TCP port being a known value for the client (does such a thing exist ?) - a small speed overhead to retrieve the TCP conversation state on each packet (actually this could be defined as a preference).

I will continue to test a bit the patch and submit it for feedback. Any comment at the "design" phase ?

See you,

metatech