Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] [RFC] Proposal for Print, Save and Export func tionality

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:33:47 +0200
|From: Guy Harris
|
|On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:33:57AM +0200, Biot Olivier wrote:
|> The "Print" menu item deals with producing paper output only.
|> "print to file" means producing a file containing printer
|> output which can later be fed to a printer.
|
|...or read in, for example, a PDF viewer, so, in the strict
|sense, it's not *just* paper output.

Meaning "everything which is ready to be printed" should be
in this menu item then. This includes print to printer, print
to PS or PDF format, but not the "Print as text to file",
which should be somewhere in the "Save As" menu (see below).
I can live with that :)

|Other than that, it sounds good.

|> The "Save" and "Save As" menu items deal with saving the
|packet capture to a
|> file so it can later be processed again by Ethereal.
|
|Sounds good.

|> The "Export" menu item deals with exporting information
|> derived from the packets to a file.
|
|Possibly, although I'm not sure whether the text and PDML
|dissection information would be more obvious to the user
|as "Export" or "Save Dissection As".

Should we introduce "Save As" and then add submenu choices
"Packet file" and "Packet dissection", or should we provide
both options in the current "Save As" dialog? I am in favor
of not-too-complex dialogs otherwise end-users may think
they're in an airplane's cockpit :)

|> The menu tree I see is:
|> /File/Save As... --> Same "Save As" dialog as we have today
|> (choose packet file format and packets to save).
|
|Yes.
|
|> /File/Print --> No PS output (unless we agree that PS is
|> always a printer output format), no PDML output.
|
|No PDML output, but I'd see it as the right place of PDF output
|and possibly PS output - if for no other reason than that some
|other GUIs work that way.

OK.

Regards,

Olivier