Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] debugging questions

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:57:07 -0700
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 04:11:20PM -0500, Wei Li (Michael) wrote:
>   There is sth weird when I am debugging a new dissector in Ethereal.
> During debugging, the execution order of program statements is not
> following the program flow.  For example, in the following capture of
> debugging session, it jumpped around the statement 2105 quite a few
> times until finally execute it.

	http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=instruction+scheduling

One side effect of that can be that single-stepping through a program
whose instructions have been scheduled for functional-unit parallelism
can make it appear that it's jumping around in the code.

>   By the way, after I successfully dissect the first two packets in
> the dump file, the program suddenly aborted because of failing on the
> following assertion: ** ERROR **: file tvbuff.c: line 379
> (check_offset_length_no_exception): assertion failed:
> (tvb->initialized).  Could anybody help me out here?

You might have a tvbuff that you've created with "tvb_new()" but haven't
given any data to.