Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight/GPL update (fwd)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:51:55 -0700
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:31:00PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> If the OLE interface is only called by ClearSight, and they package it
> as just a single work, and they don't make the Ethereal module
> available separately then it looks like a single work to me.

If the OLE interface is reasonably designed, it might be useful to
applications other than ClearSight Analyzer; if it happens only to be
used by ClearSight Analyzer right now, that doesn't mean it's useful
only to ClearSight Analyzer.

For what it's worth, they say at

	http://www.appdancer.com/faq-analyzer.jsp#15

the following:

	Does ClearSight use the Ethereal decode engine in its Analyzer
	products?

	Yes, as both an installation and operation option, ClearSight
	can utilize the Ethereal packet decode engine in its Analyzer
	products.  This is in order to provide our customers with a
	wider range of protocol decodes that may not be already
	supported with ClearSight's embedded decode engines.

	Do all packet decodes available on the ClearSight Analyzer use
	the Ethereal decode engine?

	No, ClearSight has its own packet decode engine within its
	Analyzer products.  This proprietary real-time applications flow
	and protocol decode engine engine is required in order to decode
	many of the major protocols in real-time as well as certain
	proprietary protocols and applications that ClearSight has
	entered into with various manufacturers and software companies.

which, of course, raises another question, for which this is their
answer:

	If ClearSight Networks builds products to decode packets, why
	would it use another packet decode engine?

	ClearSight Networks develops and markets a next-generation
	application analyzer.  The ClearSight Analyzer utilizes many new
	and unique ways to visualize application data - with associated
	problems - that are traveling over networks.  For many users,
	the unique ClearSight views enable them to solve network and
	application problems without a classic protocol analyzer
	"three-window packet decode".  However, if the user is
	sufficiently trained and requires these classic three-window
	views to solve a problem - ClearSight provides the most widely
	available solution available today.

As for whether the Ethereal module is available separately, they appear
to claim so in one place in the FAQ:

	How do I download a copy of the Ethereal code used in the
	ClearSight Analyzer products?

	Download Ethereal source and binaries

(where the answer links to their download page), but I haven't checked
to see whether the binary is available from there.

> The other question I suppose you should think about is what outcome
> you want.  Do you want them to just stop using Ethereal?

I have no problem with them using Ethereal as long as they do so in a
fashion compliant with the GPL.

> Do you want them to pay for a dual licence?

No.

> Is there some code in their product that you want them to open up?

I don't particularly want to use Ethereal as a lever to force them to
GPL all of Analyzer; GPLing all their changes to Ethereal, and keeping
their application at arm's length from Ethereal, would suffice for me.