Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] promiscuous mode help

From: Joyce Lin <joycelin_01@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:43:52 -0800 (PST)
hi all,

  I am working with a prgm that uses the libpcap code to capture packets.  One of the parameters that can be passed to pcap_open_live is the "promiscuous" boolean... I wanted to use the program to capture in both promiscuous and non-promiscuous modes... Two problems arose - I had been capturing packets in promiscuous mode successfully.  Then when I passed "false" to pcap_open_live, the resulting capture (using pcap_dispatch) was still in promiscuous mode.  After some more trying to turn the promiscuous mode on/off, it turned off (i don't know why) and now my adapter won't seem to sniff in promiscuous mode any longer.  When I use Ethereal and check the "promiscuous mode" box, it is not a promiscuous capture (i've tried with two different network cards.)  I can only see broadcast msgs and my own TCP traffic.

In short:  has anyone had a similar problem with libpcap, and is there any way to check what mode my adapter is in? I'm running Windows XP. =P

thanks,
-joyce

Do you Yahoo!?