Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] TCP/IP Retransmission

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:37:58 +0100
I don't want to add to the polemic, but I can add a note of what I've
personally seen in practice :)

The RST trick will do a "fine" job in most of the "well-behaved" networks...
where the TCP (client) protocol stack implements the state transition from
all states (different from SYN-RECEIVED) when receiving a RST.

>From the moment that you get network (or CPU) congestion, or multiple
routes, or you're talking about wireless links, you *cannot* guarantee the
in-sequence delivery of messages. As a result, if the server sends an ACK
segment and after some time a RST segment, the possibility that the RST
arrives to the client *before* the ACK has to be considered.

A) Packet swapping often occurs in temporary congestion scenarios where the
operation mode of some network equipment partly switches from queue (FIFO)
mode to stack (LIFO) mode.

B) Packet swapping is also very common in situations where connection load
balancing/distribution occurs as you *cannot* ensure that both routes will
have the same delay.

C) Last but not least, and this is really nasty, some web switches simply
drop out-of-order packets when running in specific operation modes, so the
end device will never receive the RST segment and it may be willing to
continue to use the connection that is still available to his knowledge.

These problems are really hard to track down. Of course, nobody forbids us
to be creative, but when the problems *are* known you may want to evaluate
the introduced risk. If you want to take this risk, you have to live with
the implied consequences. And if you're bound to a SLA in which performance
is described, you'll have serious problems in fixing the errors introduced
by the unexpected packet swapping as you'll have a decreased performance,
but that's leading us far from home :)

The funny thing is that people still try "optimizing" a protocol which is
already about a quarter of a century old, and it still surprises me that
there has not been a single major successful attempt at replacing TCP with a
more "efficient" reliable streaming protocol :)

Finally, I *personally* don't believe in a one-size-fits-all protocol that
is the best protocol in all situations. But I *personally* believe that a
well-designed protocol is an authoritative reference. Again, this paragraph
is my *personal* opinion and you may take it for what it's worth.

Best regards,

Olivier