Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] TCP/IP Retransmission

From: "Pia Sahlberg" <piabar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:00:48 +0000

"wrong" and "stupid" are funny terms for open source developers to use
when talking about someones efforts to improve performance (even if you
do not agree with the procedures)...

Why? It is always stupid to deliberately violate a protocol specification.
It is very stupid to do so without undertsanding the consequences.
The standards are written by people far more intelligent than most implementors.
One should follow them, thats why they are standards.

Implementors have always tried more or less stupid things in the search for extra performance, often
based on not understanding what they are doing.

While the RST abuse is not one of the largest one it is still abusing the protocol. On the scale of stupidity it is however insignificant compared to those that tried to send data in the initial SYN segment.

You could be a genius! Find out by taking the IQ Test 2003. $5.50 (incl GST). Click here: http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/testaustralia/