Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Can't autogen on OS X

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:45:29 +0100
Ian,

The warnings are harmless, they mean that the macros *might* be understood
in an other unexpected manner (but not necessarily *do*), but this was not a
fatal error.

Quoting means using square brackets around arguments. Every macro call will
remove one pair of brackets. Static text can be protected for all macro
calls by enclosing it with the special double-square-bracket construct:
[[protected static text]].

Regarding the error on missing AM_DISABLE_STATIC it should be there, as it
is defined in the top-level aclocal.m4 file:

$ grep AM_DISABLE_STATIC ethereal/configure.in
AM_DISABLE_STATIC
$ grep AM_DISABLE_STATIC ethereal/ac*
ethereal/aclocal.m4:AC_DEFUN([AM_DISABLE_STATIC], [AC_DISABLE_STATIC($@)])

I think we can replace the AM_DISABLE_STATIC in the configure.in files with
the AC_DISABLE_STATIC macro as we're requiring more recent autotools now.

The same is true for AM_PROG_LIBTOOL which is obsolete now:

$ grep AM_PROG_LIBTOOL ethereal/configure.in
# Yes, AM_PROG_LIBTOOL is redundant with newer version(s) of some tool(s)
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
$ grep AM_PROG_LIBTOOL ethereal/ac*
ethereal/aclocal.m4:AC_DEFUN([AM_PROG_LIBTOOL],   [AC_PROG_LIBTOOL])

I'd suggest we update the configure.in files now.

Regards,

Olivier