Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] cvs commit: ethereal README.macos

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:09:26 +0100
Huy,
See my comments inline.

Best regards
Michael

On 23. Mar 2004, at 3:05 Uhr, Guy Harris wrote:

Michael Tuexen said:
I installed it. The following steps were necessary:

0. make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path.
1. Compile / install pkgconfig
2. Compile / install gettext
3. cp /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig/* /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/

Does setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to include /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig also do
that?
I have to try that. On my system the variable is not set at all.

4. Compile / install glib
5. Modify /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gthread-20.pc (to avoid the -pthread
warnings)

Where does that "-pthread" flag come from? Is that a bug in GLib 2.x that
puts that flag in even on OS X?
Yes, it comes from the glib2.4 installation. It thinks that -pthread is
needed on Mac OS X. If you do not do it, everything continues to work, but
you get a lot of warnings.

6. Compile / install pango
7. compile / install atk
8. compile / install gtk using --without-libtiff --without-libpng
--without-libjpeg

Hopefully it also works without those flags if you install the relevant
libraries.
I think so, but I had problems with these libraries (you described the
workarounds). So I just built a minimal system for ethereal.

Should I update the readme such that we recommend 2.4?

Yes, although we might want to suggest changing PKG_CONFIG_PATH rather
than copying the .pc files, and either continue to suggest installing the
JPEG/PNG/TIFF libraries or describe both alternatives.
I have to setup a G5 today or tomorrow and will see if the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
will work.