Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Can't make on Windows with Visual C++ on latest CVS

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:56:14 -0700
Well, Somehow I was able to get it to compile by changing into the epan
directory and running c:/python22/python ../make-reg-dotc.py .
Then change back to the Ethereal source directory and running nmake -f
makefile.nmake

But even though it does make Ethereal and I can build the package, it
doesn't run. It when I install and execute the new binary it reports an
error on line 603 of packet.c (subdissector).

Greg

>>> ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 3/18/2004 1:49:15 PM >>>
I've gotten these errors since a CVS update a couple of weeks ago.

I'd gotten these in the past and it seemed to relate to the size of the

"python" command-line that's executed.  I'd been able to avoid the
problem by removing the amount of whitespace in the DISSECTOR_SRC in
epan\Makefile.common (well, \Makefile.common at the time).  This no
longer avoids the problem.

Using sh should work fine though (albeit slowly).  Just comment out the

Python line in config.nmake.

Are some people getting this to work in Windows using Python?

Ian