Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems with shared libraries

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:44:19 -0800
On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 02:55:24PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> building the dynamic libs version does not work on Mac OS X 10.3.2
> with glib-1.2.10. This was, I believe, pointed out earlier by
> Guy. So I tried
> ./configure -disable-shared
> This results in

...failure, because linking a program completely statically is
apparently not supported by Mac OS X.

> If this is fixed, the default under Mac OS X should be --disable-shared
> unless you use gtk2.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to get that to work, and I don't think
it can be made to work - I think Ethereal on Mac OS X is now GTK2-only.

> I'm trying to install gtk2, but this requires a lot of other things...

Yes, you have to install a lot of other stuff, but it *can* be done.