Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Do we still need 3 configure scripts?

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:16:09 +0100
Hi all,

Currently we have 3 sets of configure settings (top level directory, epan
and wiretap). However, most of the settings are identical in the 3 sets.
Running configure with the new autotools takes ages as compared to "earlier
days", and sometimes changes in one auto-set are not reflected in the other
ones.

Is there still a valid reason to have (and maintain) these 3 sets?

Additionally, maybe it is time that we start debugging/simplifying/rewriting
them, as I have already seen many inconsistencies (e.g., --disable-usr-local
will not work on the pcap tests as there is an explicit check on directories
within /usr/local). I am starting to "feel at home" in those auto-stuff, but
I'd like to find some reference on those tools... Anyone knows a good one?

Regards,

Olivier