Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] can one plugin call another?

From: "Donald White" <dbwhite@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:51:13 -0700
Group,

I apologize in advance if this is a user and not a developer problem and I am in the wrong group.

I am new here but not to ethereal. Last Sunday, I was having an experimental protocol hang at school on a project. This was the third time this protocol had failed so I decided it was time for a better tool. To look at the problem, I developed a windows plugin dissector for the protocol. It went much easier than I expected.

It went so well that I mentioned it to my employer. They are now interested in converting two static dissertors that I developed about three years ago for Solaris and Linux to windows plugins so they can use some windows laptops for network monitoring in the lab. They are also I think interested in not having me periodically rebuild and distribute new ethereal versions. They like the idea of a binary windows distribution to which a couple of files are copied to the plugins directory.

In looking at the code there were two problems. The first dissector uses the proto_registrar_get_name() function. This is because the meaning of some fields depends on the values of other fields. I used this function to get the field name and then use a value string array to display the alternate meaning. The code looks like this:

    proto_tree_add_uint_format(XX_opcode_tree, hf_XX_subtype, tvb, 9, 1,
                               subtype, format,
                               proto_registrar_get_name(hf_XX_subtype),
                               val_to_str(subtype,
                                          XX_subtypes,
                                          unknown),
                               subtype);

The difficulty is that the semantics of subtype varies with the value of type. Since it looks like I have to recode this anyway, is there a right or recommended or suggested way to do it?

My second problem is that the second dissector calls the first. This is because the first protocol is sometime encapsulated in the second. How can this work if both are plugins? I did not see this covered in the readmes.

Thanks,

Don