Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SVN 1.0 binaries available

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:22:53 +0100
Biot Olivier wrote:

Hi list,

Just to inform you that the SVN 1.0 binaries are available for download.

SVN also supports tunnelling over a HTTP proxy, so that's a neat feature.

Excerpt from the FAQ:
<<<
What if I'm behind a proxy?
---------------------------
The Subversion client can go through a proxy, if you configure it to do so.
First, edit your "servers" configuration file to indicate which proxy to
use. The files location depends on your operating system. On Linux or Unix
it is located in the directory "~/.subversion". On Windows it is in
"%APPDATA%\Subversion". (Try "echo %APPDATA%", note this is a hidden
directory.)
There are comments in the file explaining what to do. If you don't have that
file, get the latest Subversion client and run any command; this will cause
the configuration directory and template files to be created.

I installed svn with the installer, ran svn once from the command-line and
then looked up %APPDATA%\Subversion\Servers (UNIX line ends, so don't use
notepad.exe) where I added the following for proxy support:

[global]
http-proxy-host = <fully qualified name of my http proxy host>
http-proxy-port = <port of http proxy>
http-compression = yes

That's it!

To be exact, it will tunnel over *some* HTTP proxies, as it uses the HTTP CONNECT method, when I have read the SVN docs correct. Not all HTTP proxies will let the HTTP CONNECT method pass through, at least at the company I work, it does not :-(
However, it's better than CVS today :-)

View CVS seems to be working together with subversion, so no problem here (except for some configuration effort, I guess).

As I just read some documentation, is anyone on the list with some more practical experience (daily work) with SVN?

We might want to have a subversion "playground" server, some place on ethereal.com where a subversion server is running at, to test the client software on various platforms. Gerald, what do you think of this?
Or maybe there's a place on the web already opened for this testing purpose?

Regards, ULFL

P.S: It might be better to call it Subversion instead of SVN (in the subject line), as SVN might not be known to all subscribers on the list.