Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Move dissectors into libethereal

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 01:22:20 +0100
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 02:34:45AM +0100, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> 2do:
1 - check whether my changes to the Makefile.nmake files are
    complete and correct
    [DONE]
2 - verify things still work with non-default configure options
    [DONE]
3 - make use of epan/Makefile.common for other stuff
    [PARTIAL - only works for static libs on some OS]
4 - move libdfilter and libftypes into libethereal
5 - find a better solution to the plugin stuff (currently, the
    checks are done in . for the object files and in epan for the
    source files)
6 - move epan/configure.in into configure.in (maybe)
7 - make libwiretap and libethereal shared libraries
8 - move dissectors and helpers to epan/packet/ and clean up includes

IMO, the next step should be 7, as this is the part that has shown a
great potential for problems the last time I sent patches (IIRC, there
were problems on Solaris and MacOS X). IIRC, one of the problems was,
that linking the dfilter and ftype libs into libethereal didn't work.
Makes having dfilter and types as stand alone libs sense (undo 3)?

Btw, the last step should be 8, because by that time we will have a better
understanding of the build requirements on the filesystem layout.

 Ciao
  Jï¿œrg