Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Changed required automake to 1.6 and autoconf to 2.53

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 01:08:56 +0100
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:46:35AM +0100, Olivier Biot wrote:
> BTW the .PHONY target correctly runs make-version.pl, but I've seen it
> running at least twice (once at the very beginning, and once at the
> very end of the build). As a matter of fact, it runs once at the very
> beginning of the make, then once for every binary requiring
> cvsversion.h, and finally at the very end of the build. As a result,
> even without any changes to the source files, make rebuilds
> tethereal.exe (but not ethereal.exe), but then the last run of
> make-version.pl is not run.

Yes, I arrived at the same result some minutes ago. As a bonus, look at this:

jmayer@madhatter:~/work/ethereal/main> rm cvsversion.h
jmayer@madhatter:~/work/ethereal/main> make cvsversion.h
/usr/bin/perl ./make-version.pl
This is a build from CVS (or a CVS snapshot), CVS version tag will be computed.
cvsversion.h has been updated.
jmayer@madhatter:~/work/ethereal/main> cat cvsversion.h
#define CVSVERSION "CVS 20010711054138"

Now, that's an old repository

Anyway. I'm too tired to immediatly find the source of the problem.

 Ciao

  Jï¿œrg