Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.2 build failure on Mac OS X: this is really weird ...

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 02:10:32 -0800 (PST)
> Okay ... sorry to response to my own post, but the issue seems to be
> that 0.10.2 assumes you have pcap_if_t if you have pcap_findalldevs, a
> sane assumption from my reading of the libpcap-0.8.1 headers.  However,
> OS X 10.3.2 ships with a weird version of libpcap that includes
> pcap_findalldevs, but no definition for pcap_if_t.

No, 10.3.2 doesn't do that; it ships with an 0.6[.x]-derived libpcap that
doesn't include "pcap_findalldevs()".

It's a problem with the latest Security Update - it updates the libpcap
dylib to 0.8.1, but doesn't update the header files (or the man page - and
also doesn't update the tcpdump man page to 3.8.1).

> Does anybody have a favorite workaround?

Install, in "/usr/include", pcap.h, pcap-bpf.h, and pcap-stdinc.h from
libpcap 0.8.1.