Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Patch for Linux Capabilities

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:50:52 +0000
On Sunday 28 Sep 2003 9:34 am, Emanuele Caratti wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've made this patch to allow suid installation for ethereal and tethereal,
> and works for me ( Linux 2.4.x ), but should works also for 2.2.x..

Thanks for that. I'll try it soon. (Hard disk crash means I'll have to
reconstruct an ethereal build environment first.) Filesystem ACL will be in
kernel 2.6 when it comes out, but I wont see that until Mandrake releases
10.0, probably middle of 2004. This patch will mitigate my paranoia somewhat
at having to run a program as root from an untrusted login's home directory.

--
Richard Urwin