Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Etherpeek's equivalent to FAQ 5.1

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:47:39 -0700
I.e., Capturing Traffic On Switched Networks For Dummies:

	http://www.wildpackets.com/elements/EP_in_Switched_Networks.pdf

It has some other stuff in it as well, but, not surprisingly, a lot of it is essentially the same stuff as FAQ 5.1 (probably for the same reason that it's 5.1 in our FAQ - *many* people get rudely surprised by promiscuous mode not capturing all the traffic on switched networks).

They have a table of switch vendors and the terms they use for port mirroring (although I'm curious whether "Xtreme Switches" refers to Extreme Network's switches or to the industrial-environment switches from Waters Network Switches:

	http://www.watersnet.com/watersnet/xtreme.html

where "Xtreme" refers to the temperature range they can handle).