Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] data link values

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:11:50 -0700

On Sep 22, 2003, at 10:35 AM, Darren Forster wrote:

I get capture files from various devices and have produced a simple java gui
to import the captured frames into ethereal.

I can get Cisco HDLC, PPP and raw IP into ethereal using the listed data link values in libpcap but I would like to know the data link values for
mtp2 and lapd - q931.

You can't, because there aren't any.

There's some work in progress to handle MTP2, but I infer that Jeff Morriss will be changing the way we handle MTP2/MTP3/whatever that Swhatever protocol was to remove an apparently-unnecessary length field; once that's done, you'd be able to use that.

Nobody's created one for LAPD - or, perhaps more appropriately, for ISDN, with a pseudo-header giving the channel number.

(ideally I could do with a list of all data link values that I can use to
force decoding of layer 2 protocols).

The list of data link values *is* the one in libpcap. If it's not there, you can't use it in Ethereal. If you need one for Ethereal, it needs to be added to libpcap; ask tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx for one (and give a detailed description of the way the packets will be encapsulated).