Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Patch for dlg_utils.c - Win32, GTK+2.2.4, mult iple displays

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:04:56 -0700

On Sep 19, 2003, at 11:02 AM, Giles Scott wrote:

Additional patches to make 'file/open/save' and several other windows appear on the monitor which the application is running.

several other functions like tools/statistics/.. all appear on the default monitor, which in some ways is nice...

Not sure if the patch is the correct way of resolving the issue, but it works..

One problem is that "transient for" has other implications - at least with Apple's quartz-wm, if X is transient for Y, it always appears on top of Y. I'll have to see what implications it has with some other window managers I have at home - it might, for example, mean "if you minimize the parent, minimize the transient-for windows as well".

For dialogs, that's probably OK; however, "Follow TCP Stream" is one of the tools functions, and doesn't pop up a dialog, so that should probably *not* be made transient for the main window. The same is probably true of the help window. (The source files for them end in "_dlg.c", but that's probably an error.)

 Also not tested on GTK v1.

The patches other than the one to dlg_utils.c don't compile without additional #if's - the "center on parent" stuff is GTK+ 2.x-only.

I've checked in the dlg_utils.c and file_dlg.c patch; as indicated above, I'm not sure the "Follow TCP Stream" and Help windows should be made transient for the parent.