Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Crash for get_tcp_conversation_data

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:54:31 -0700
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:21:38AM +0200, martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> First I get this GTK warning:
>
> (etherea_rtp.exe:612): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gmem.c: line 747 (g_mem_chunk_allo
> c): assertion `mem_chunk != NULL' failed

The problem is, I suspect, that the new code for attaching window
scaling option information to a conversation is used regardless of
whether TCP sequence analysis is enabled, and that code calls
"get_tcp_conversation_data()", which assumes that "tcp_analysis_chunk"
is non-NULL, but that memory chunk is allocated only if TCP sequence
analysis is enabled.

The right answer is probably either

	1) to allocate that memory chunk regardless of whether
	   "tcp_analyze_seq" is set or not

or

	2) to do the window scaling stuff only if "tcp_analyze_seq" is
	   set.