Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reassembling TELNET packet

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:29:32 -0700

On Sep 17, 2003, at 2:23 PM, Jeeva S Chelladhurai wrote:

I have a TELNET traffic where TELNET commands are split between 2 packets.
Ex.

Packet1
"FF"
Packet2
"FB 03" followed by other options.

Is it possible make ethereal and tethereal to interpret those split commands
together?

It would be possible to modify the Telnet dissector in Ethereal and Tethereal to have a preference setting to control whether it attempts to reassemble Telnet options split across TCP segments. It would have to make sure it doesn't try to reassemble every packet in a giant capture into one immense reassembled packet if there's a malformed Telnet option (or a missing TCP segment).

I don't know of anybody working on that, however, so I can't predict when, if ever, Ethereal and Tethereal would be able to do that.