Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Unexpected behavior of "enable MAC name resolution"

From: Kirk Hobart <hobart@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:22:32 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm running Ethereal 0.9.15 on Windows 2000 SP2. Ever since 0.9.13,
Ethereal hasn't been able to resolve machine names on our LAN. I just now
discovered that by disabling MAC name resolution, 0.9.15 begins resolving
our LAN names just fine! That's an unexpected interaction. Bug?

Our LAN uses TCP/IP. I think it uses WINS instead of DNS to resolve local
machine names, in case that matters.

Possibly related:  Since 0.9.13, I haven't been able to create display
filters such as "ip.addr == www.mit.edu". It complains that the name "is
not a valid hostname or IPv4 address". It accepts only dotted-decimal
format. I tried various combinations of the name resolution preferences,
but no joy.

Kirk Hobart