Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Rearrange source tree?

From: Jason House <jhouse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:14:49 -0400
./ui/gtk - comtains files that can be compiled under gtk1 and gtk2
           (even if compiled versions aren't binary compatible)
./ui/gtk/gtk1 - contains files specific to gtk1
./ui/gtk/gtk2 - contains files specific to gtk2

I know I've heard about a clist data structure that only gets used sometimes? That might be an item for inclusion in an appropriate subdirectory. It may or may not be desired for ./ui/gtk/gtk1/makefile and ./ui/gtk/gtk2/makefile to create and hold all object files related to their specific gtk versions.

Biot Olivier wrote:

There's nothing that forbids us to put common User Interface (or front end)
code in ./ui/ and to have a ./ui/gtk1 and ./ui/gtk2/ and ./ui/tethereal/ and
./ui/native/Win32 for instance. Or as Guy proposed, something more in the
lines ./ui/gtk/ for the GTK common stuff, and then ./ui/gtk/gtk1/ and
./ui/gtk/gtk2/ for the version-specific code.

The packet dissection code can be located in ./epan/packet/ but there's
still discussion on some taps (not all taps are available to all "front
ends" of Ethereal).

Where do we put helper code (e.g., snprintf)?

Curious to see your remarks and suggestions!

Regards,

Olivier