Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] revised patch to enable SIGINT trace stops

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:44:05 -0700

On Sep 12, 2003, at 6:11 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:43:27AM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
Iassumed since I didn't hear back from you that
SIGINT was the most appropriate signal to use here (as opposed to
SIGUSR2).

Maybe SIGSTOP is better - I sometimes like to kill programs
from the command line.

SIGSTOP is generally reserved for "suspend this program", not "kill this program". Furthermore, according to the POSIX spec (and the BSD and Linux man pages, at least), you can't catch or ignore it.

If by "from the command line" you mean "with a 'kill' command", you can send SIGINT with a "kill" command - "kill -INT" or, on older systems, "kill -2". You can also send it with your interrupt character if you've run Ethereal from a terminal window.