Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Patches to make Ethereal 0.9.15 compile with MVC

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:20:18 +0100
>This are the patches I had to make to get Ethereal compile with MVC, nmake,
and Cygwin tools. Some of these changes are
>maybe environment dependent but I think these come closer to what most
people have. Some other patches are only
>necessary if you have the SDK installed but I don't think they harm if you
don't have that installed (can somebody check
>that?)
>In addition to these patches I had to save all doc/*.pod and
doc/*.pod.template files with UNIX line terminations. The
>Cygwin pod2html script doesn't understand windows line terminations :-(

Which version of VC ??

The changes to Makefile.nmake and the change to config.nmake regarding the
/NODEFAULTLIB:libc.lib change use the C run-time library msvcrt instead of
libc.  According to the platform SDK libc is the statically linked single
thread version, and msvcrt is the multi-thread dll based version.  Is there
a good reason for these changes ?  I compile using VC 6 with the Platform
SDK installed and these aren't needed.  Have you run vcvars32.bat to set up
the compilation environment ?

The changes to config.nmake to build the documentation seem to be required
(I'd never done that before) as a windows command shell doesn't recognise
the cygwin pod2html and pod2man scripts as executables as they don't have an
extension.

I would expect the files to require U*ix line endings as they are for use by
U*ix tools.

The other changes to config.nmake seem to be personal environment changes
including the use of the cygwin version of python instead of a native
version which would IMHO be slower, although arguably the reference to the
old b-20 version of cygwin should be updated to something newer
(C:\cygwin\bin ??).

I don't know if the change to nsis/Makefile.nmake is required as I don't
have nsis installed, but it looks sensible.

Graham Bloice