Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once on window before every relea

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:13:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Naveen Kumar Kaushik wrote:

> > Depending on the actual release cycle, we might have to freeze the tree
> > for a day or so to allow the test builds to be done, or we might have to
> > split off the release branch and so on.
>

> > Why don't you make some suggestions around how you would like to approach
> > the task for the next release.
>
> Won't it we good if Gerald announces date of code freeze for the version .
> Or can we put the freezed code tar on website ,so that compilation problem
> can be found out, can be put on dev list and fixed before the release.  I
> can download

OK, that brings up the next issue, which is release management and the CVS
tree. It seems to me that there are two options:

1. Lock the CVS tree for a few days when it is decided that a new release
is to be made so a few select people can ensure that it builds on the
platforms that we care about. They, or a single person, would be able to
commit patches that are required to ensure that the builds work, but no
one else would.

2. Branch the release tree off into a side branch, and the release people
work to ensure that that branch works, and port any changes forward to
the trunk. This allows developers to continue to submit changes to the
trunk while a release is being prepared.

Should we move down this road of being more disciplined? Are there any
other approaches?

Regards
-----