Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Licensing/Distribution Question

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:20:16 +1000
Oh,
I missed the word patented.

I am totally against patented protocols. Hopefully no one will ever use them
and Ethereal should
definitely not assist people in using them.
Patented protocols or algorithms are an abomination.

Patented protocols are NOT compatible with ethereal or GPL.

Patented protocols that restricts what users can do with the protocols or
who can implement them
or are distributed in binary only form with special licence agreements or
costs for using
shall not be part of any code i contribute to.

A much better solution is to either use
1, Sniffer Pro
2, NetMon
3, something else
4, write your own protocol analyzer which allows patented protocols and
restrictions on use.

Please do not use ethereal for these projects.