Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Question regarding performance

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:36:50 +0200
See my comments below.

best regards
Michael

On Friday, Sep 5, 2003, at 19:38 Europe/Berlin, Guy Harris wrote:

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:34:09AM +0200, Michael Tuexen wrote:
when I load a large .pcap file and after that I change the style of the time column from 'time since beginning of capture' to 'since last frame'
the progress seems to be fast at the beginning and slows down towards
the end. Shouldn't the process be at a constant rate?

On what platform are you doing this, and what version of GTK+ do you
have installed?

I detected it on FreeBSD 4.8, gtk 1.2.10. I have reproduced it on
Mac OS X 10.2.6 with 1.2.10 of gtk and glib with a file of approx
100000 packets an 10MB on Disc.

One possible problem is that GTK+ isn't 1.2.8 or later (I think the
version was 1.2.8) - prior to 1.2.8 (or whatever the version was), it
appended to the list of elements in a GtkClist (the widget used to
display the packet list) by scanning to the end of the list and adding
there (the word "quadratic" comes to mind here...); I sent them a patch
to use the end-of-list pointer that was already present, turning
quadratic into linear, and I think it got into 1.2.8.

(Actually, that particular process should take a constant *time*, not
proceed at a constant *rate*, but to do that, I need to get the "virtual
clist" stuff working, and to do *that*, I need to get some other stuff,
such as support for reasonably fast random access to gzipped captures,
working....)