Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug in compressed sniffer file decode

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:16:26 -0000
On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 16:11, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 18:03, Greg Morris wrote:
>
> > To duplicate just open the CAZ file
> > Select any item in the packet decode window and right click and match
> > selected to create a simple filter.
> > Finally click reset. I have had it several times just mark all of the
> > packets as TCP segments and at other times it displays all of the
> > packets as srvloc.
> >
> > Attached is the trace file.
> > ----
> >

> FYI, regarding the 250-packet file, I opened the file, and then used the
> down arrow to visit each packet. The final protocol in the dissection
> (protocol tree) matched the information in the summary window. However,
> as soon as I clicked a previous packet, i.e., traveled backward in the
> file, the wrong data was loaded for that packet.
>
> --gilbert

Another data point. The problem occurs *only* if I visit the 250th
packet. If I scroll through any of the other first 249 packets, and
travel backward, everything is fine. But if I re-dissect the last
packet, then it goes crazy. Thus, the problem may not have anything to
do with "traveling backward", but rather, something being askew after
visiting the last packet.  (i.e., you can't avoid but "traveling
backward" after having visited the last packet).

--gilbert