Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug in compressed sniffer file decode

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:44:05 -0700
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 06:29:07AM +0200, Martin Regner wrote:
> If I renamed the file to Snif6.cap.gz and extracted the Snif6.cap with
> WinZip (that didn't complain that the file is corrupted) and opened the
> Snif6.cap file I got and then did as Greg wrote in his mail
> (filter+Reset) the file was correctly dissected even after
> filtering+Reset.

It appears that .caz files might be using some feature(s) of the
compressed file format that WinZip understands but neither gunzip, zlib,
nor Stuffit Expander understand.

RFC 1952 describes "GZIP file format specification version 4.3"; I don't
know whether the feature(s) are documented in there or not.