Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Can't open Sniffer trace

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:06:56 -0700

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 8:57 AM, Greg Morris wrote:

Here are the same problem trace files in Lanalyzer format.

Well, they're Ethernet captures, but with a network type other than what we've seen in NetXRay/Windows Sniffer captures.

I have a change that treats the network type as a 1-byte field rather than a 2-byte field, and that checks the byte *after* the network type - if it's 2, it treats the network type as an NDIS type value, and if it's 0, it treats it as an NDIS type value - 1, which should handle all the captures with 0 the same as it always has, and treats your two captures as Ethernet.

I treat all other values for that byte as errors.

I don't know what significance, if any, that byte has.

I've attached a patch with the change.

BTW, there are some packets in the server capture (such as the first two) with an IP protocol type of 0xe0; any idea what they are? (There are also some SNAP packets with an OUI of 0x00000c, for Cisco, and a protocol ID of 0x2004; does anybody know what *those* are?)