Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Support for pure protocol packets without underlying protocol

From: Matthijs Melchior <mmelchior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:49:39 +0200
Jeff Morriss wrote:

Guy Harris wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:14:56PM +0530, Navin Anand wrote:

The modified files are:
libpcap.c
407,413d406
<
<       /*
<        * 20 Added for the fake link type, required to dissect packets
<        * containing higher layer protocol payload without the lower layer
<        * protocol headers, e.g. pure TCP data without underlying IP.
<        */
<       { 20,           WTAP_ENCAP_FAKE_LINK },
There is no guarantee that a DLT_ value of 20 isn't being used
somewhere; it's best to request a DLT_ value from tcpdump.org - or to
define your own capture file format for your application, with its own
magic number, rather than using libpcap format.

Having just used libwiretap to dump packets to a PCAP file, I must admit that I like using that format (just for ease of use).
I have been using this to convert binary payload to a .pcap file:

od -Ax -tx1 stream | text2pcap -m1460 -T1234,5678 - stream.pcap

Together with a dissector that lets ethereal desegment the tcp stream,
I have had good results dissecting my data stream.
Desegmentation is managed by giving a hint where the next dissector
call should start when an exception occurs.

--
Matthijs Melchior                                       Maarssen  /\\