Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] XML Usage

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:06:14 +0100
James Duke wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 Guy Harris Wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 04:26:45PM -0500, Jim Duke wrote:
>> > My preference would be to declare the enumerations (and the field
>> > structure definitions) in XML and provide an XML parser that would
>> > register the field arrays during initialization from XML data files.
>>
>> Would that require that Ethereal be linked with an XML library? If so,
>> your dissector would have to be conditionally included, so that it's
>> built in only if an XML library is present.  (*Requiring* an XML
>library
>> for Ethereal would not be desirable - I'd prefer not to add more
>> required libraries, although libraries that, if present, mean Ethereal
>> can do more are OK.)
>
>If I decide to use that method - then yes, the dissector would require
>an XML library.  And yes, I would certainly add the checks to the
>configure script and affected code files to conditionally compile those
>parts that are dependent on that new library.  I have worked for a
>number of years with autoconf and automake, so that is a matter of
>course for me.
>
>Also, I would assume that the preference would be to stay pure C, which
>would imply that I should stay away from any C++ XML parsers...  I'm
>leaning towards the GNOME libxml2 parser, but I'm open to suggestions.

The Diameter dissector uses libxml2 (if it is installed) to read Diameter protocol dictionaries from the .../diameter/ directory.

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200105/msg00239.html
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200110/msg00269.html
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200110/msg00271.html
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200202/msg00045.html