Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RTP analysis. Same SSRC for several streams causes problems

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:42:07 +1100
please send changes in as diff instead of entire files.
it makes it much easier ti review them.

ethereal is slower when it needs to evaluate filter strings.
this is a feature since this makes filtering work.
faster ways to filter like
"check if it is NFS by verifying that the network order 32 bit integer at
position x in the frame has
the value 100003" does not work since it will not catch NFS over ICMP
nor will it catch any packets where one of the headers have changed in size
making that style of filtering useless.

redo the test by also having a colorfilter or display filter active.
this is a realistic scenario and will show how much slower its gets by
using rtp_tap filter.
maybe your test only shows how much slower ethereal gets by calling the
filtering
subsystem compared to when it can skip filtering completely.