Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] PPP dissector bug

From: Irfan Khan <ikhan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:57:04 -0700
I agree. This seems to be more of this particular L2TP implementation's problem then an ethereal problem. My bad :)

Thanks,
Irfan

If my reading of the L2TP spec is correct, then

	1) those 0x7e's were in the packet by error if they were framing
	   bytes

and

	2) calling the PPP in HDLC-like framing dissector would work.

Note that the ppp_hdlc dissector assumes that Somebody Else has dealt
with framing and escape bytes, which is the case for, for example:

	libpcap captures on systems with BPF, as the PPP code hands
	incoming packets to BPF *after* processing them and hands
	outgoing packets to BPF *before* inserting framing and escape
	bytes;

	Sniffer, etc. captures, where it also appears to process framing
	and escape bytes before putting packets into the capture file;

	pppdump captures, as the pppdump-capture-reading code processes
	the framing and escape bytes.