Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 64 bit pointer warnings

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:35:53 -0800
On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 07:04:32AM +0100, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> This is something we discussed a while back but I didn't do anything
> about it until a few hours ago :-)
> Suse has a patch that fixes some warnings when compiling on the ia64
> platform.

It's probably the case on all LP64 platforms, at least with GCC.

> I've converted the casts in the patch to use glib's
> GPOINTER_TO_INT etc macros.

I do to remember this being discussed and a modified version of the
change, to use the glib macros, being suggested - did we just discuss
that and not check it in?  I thought I'd remembered something getting
checked in, but perhaps I'm misremembering.

> One thing I don't understand: Why do they change i from int to long
> int?

I've no idea - I see no place where it would need to be 64 bits on
64-bit platforms, or even where making it 64 bits would suppress a
compiler warning.