Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Display time issue

From: Ian Schorr <spamcontrol2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 18:33:54 -0500
Sorry about the repost - in addition, I'm looking for files that are 002.000 or above, have hdr.timeunit set to 1 or 2, and seem to exhibit the odd timestamp shifting that is checked for in netxray.c/netxray_open.

Ian

Ian Schorr wrote:

Does anyone have a small 002.001 or 002.000 trace that they can email to me, or know under what circumstances/versions Sniffer/NetXRay will produce such a file?

Thanks,
Ian

Ian Schorr wrote:

I've also noticed that in all the traces that I have so far, setting the netray_hdr byte to something non-zero (or at least 1-5, which I've tested) seems to cause Sniffer to multiply frame timestamp fields by 32 when interpreting them. This has been true in all traces I've tried, and the traces I have where this byte is set (to 2, in all the traces I've found it set in), the timestamp fields seem to be 32 times too small.

This certainly seems to differ from how Ethereal is converting the timestamps when this field is set to 1 or 2.

All of my traces seem to be 002.002, so I'm not sure if this is simply a difference between 002.001 (and 002.000, I assume) and 002.002. I'm also not sure that this field isn't tied to another, undeciphered field. In any case, having Ethereal account for this field (right now I multiply by 32 only if the version is 002.002, otherwise I use the old conversion) and the xxb[20] field have fixed the timestamps for all the traces I've looked at so far.

I'll let you know if I find anything else in testing. Let me know if there's anything I can provide, like traces that have this value set originally (not "modified" by me manually).

Ian Schorr