Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal addition for analysing RTP data

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:13:46 +1100
Very very cool,
This would be very nice to have in 0.9.10

I think you generated the diff in the reverse order.
the diff looks like it wants to remove the tap from packet-rtp.c,
that is no problem, patch is bright enough to detect this and do the right
thing
anyway.

But there seems to be one patch missing,
where is the _rtp_info struct defined?
is it in a missing patch to packet-rtp.h ?

As for your question in tap-rtp.c
The tap listeners are called after each individual packet is dissected.
The next packet will not be dissected until all previous *_packet() tap
listeners
have been called and have completed.
In other words, the dissection of packets and calling of *_packet() is
single threaded.
This means that there will not be any corruption if *_packet() is not fast
enough, however,
since a slow(==takes long to finish) *_packet() function will prevent
ethereal from dissecting the next
packet it is good to try to make the *_packet() function as fast as
possible.

best regards
    ronnie sahlberg