Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Filter expressions for exclusion

From: Chris Waters <chris.waters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:25:09 -0800
Hi,

I agree with you that the filters work correctly, in that (AFAIK) it is
possible to construct a filter which will achieve the purpose that you
intend. Once I read the documentation carefully (it took three readings to
pick up this subtlety) it seems to me that the documentation is also
complete and correct. The issue I am raising is that the default behavior is
non-intuitive and I would guess that it has been the cause of
head-scratching for most Ethereal users.

Overall the filter expressions are very easy to use. A quick skim of the
documentation the first time I used Ethereal was all I needed to start
writing filters. However, until someone else brought it to my attention
recently, I had no idea that all of the filters I had written that use '!='
are actually excluding more packets than I intended.

Would there be any loss in generality of filters if there wasn't an implicit
'and protocol' term?

Regards,

Chris.