Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Question about stdin on ethereal win32.

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:07:31 -0800
On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 04:36:47AM -0800, Jaime Fournier wrote:
> I am trying to do something on windows, under cygwin
> prompt that I do under unix.
> ssh root@remotehost 'tcpdump -s 1500 -w -' |ethereal
> -k -i -
>
> This works for viewing a remote capture on unix.
> On windows however it complains with
> "This capture session could not be initiated (error
> opening adapter. The system cannot find the file
> specified).

The code to read captures from pipes is present only on UNIX.

There are two cases for that code:

	1) reading from the standard input;

	2) reading from a named pipe.

One could probably make the code for the former compile on Windows; I
don't know whether it'd work or not (there may be some problems with
applications built as GUI applications, rather than as console
applications, reading from the standard input or reading from pipes; if
so, send complaints about that to billg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, please, it's
probably their fault, not ours).

The latter code might be trickier, as I don't know whether Windows named
pipes appear in the file system name space and are openable via the
standard I/O library, as is the case on UNIX.