Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] parsing the whole dir using ethereal for the error checking of p

From: Nehal Shah <nshah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:13:53 -0800
Hi All-

I have been using ethereal for sometime.. Here is what I want to do.

I have a dir in which there r 100 .enc files (capture files). I do not want to look at each one on of those files and figure out whether each packet meets CRC PASS or not according to ethereal. I would rather modify ethereal so when it has CRC error it tells me "Filename XXXX has YYYY CRC errors" etc. so I would be interested in doing something like.

(1) Parse .enc file using ethereal.
(2) When ethereal says bad/good CRC dump that information into a file.
(3) Parse that file later on to find out how many packets according to ethereal have  *bad checksum* and how many have *good checksum*.
(4) I want to show that information to the user.

I do not know hether eathereal can let me do something like this or not. If it does please tell me how can I do that. If not then what are the steps I will have to follow for modifying eathereal per my requirement.

I have downloaded ethereal source from "ftp://ftp.ethereal.com/pub/ethereal/distribution/ethereal-0.9.8.tar.gz"

Also let me know where do I get other development tips like builiding the code, testsing it etc..

thanks
Regards
Nehal.