Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal restransmissision display in graphs

From: "J.Smith" <lbalbalba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:50:24 +0100
Hi.

I was just looking at a time-sequence-graph in ethereal that contains
retransmissions, and I was a bit surprised about the way that
retransmissions get displayed.

In ethereal, TCP retransmissions are apparently displayed as 'straight
lines' (moving to the right in a straight line), like this:

          /
      ---/
     /
 ---/
/

While in W.Richard Stevens book 'TCP/IP Illustrated vol I', retransmissions
get displayed as 'downward lines' (moving *downward* and to the right), like
this:

        /
       /
    /\/
 /\/
/

The way Stevens displays these retransmissions looks much clearer to me.
>From one look at the picture, it is immediately obvious that a
retransmission has been sent, because the line goes 'downward'. Is this just
the way that retransmissions are supposed to get displayed in ethereal or
not (could this be changed then?), or am I just doing something wrong here ?

Sincerely,

J.Smith