Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Non-TCP conversations ?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:12:22 -0800
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 11:55:54AM +0100, Marc Van Riet wrote:
> I thought that we could use the 'Follow TCP Stream' and 'TCP Stream
> Analysis' options in the 'Tools' menu if conversations were defined in
> our dissector (with conversation_new() and find_conversation() ), but
> appearantly this is not so.
>
> What would I have to do to be able to use these options ?

Use TCP rather than a proprietary protocol that runs directly atop
Ethernet.  If your packets aren't TCP packets, they obviously do not
belong to a TCP stream, and obviously "Follow TCP Stream" and "TCP
Stream Analysis" won't work on them.

> What is the use of conversations if not for following (TCP) streams ?

The use of conversations is for keeping track of the packets that belong
to a "conversation", as defined by a source and destination addresses
and "port numbers", with some options for wildcarding, for whatever
reason a particular dissector would want.

Some dissectors for protocols running atop TCP might set up
conversations for their own purposes.  The same is true for protocols
*not* running atop TCP.